Chapters 12 & 13

by Kay Kay

Things were never quite the same as they had been before we had gone to the Leroux Manor. Many things had changed in the little amount of days over the month since the day I had been abducted.

My parents were so ashamed of who I became that they treated me as though I were some kind of whore. By the way they acted towards me, you would think that I truly was. They did not completely believe my story, and even though it was true, I started to believe otherwise. My days with Matthew all seemed as though they were nothing but a dream. The memories of him were beginning to fade as well as my love for him. Who would believe such a story? I know if it were someone else, I would have accused them of running off with those men.

Mother soon saw to it that I was restored back to my health. The tight clothing and cloak were burned while she personally scrubbed the dirt from my skin. And what she claimed was sin.

Those first two months of restoring my beauty to its original look can only be described as unpleasant. During that time I was to have no visitors or step one foot outside of the mansion. Not that any of that bothered me. There was no one to visit me and absolutely nowhere I could go.

It was not long before I discovered that my parents were making arrangements for me to make an appearance. They were determined to make Matthew to leave my mind. Though they did not know it was Matthew they were removing. My first appearance in public since I had returned home was done so at a ball. It was at the Stepney Manor. My parents chose the ball in hope of finding myself a new suitor. What a better choice in their opinion than the Stepney’s eldest son Nicholas? Yes the Nicholas that found me in the woods. His family was of course the third richest family on the east coast, and his father was my father’s friend.

Every year the noblemen and their families all meet for the Stepney Ball. The ball always began at sundown and lasted until the late night hours. Then most of the families would stay at one of the nearby inns.

I had been dancing with Lord Stepney when his handsome son Nicholas approached us with one of his perfect smiles.

“I wish to dance with Miss Pendleton,” he stated to his father.

“Of course,” my dancing partner answered, stepping back. Then said, “I thank you for allowing me the pleasure of dancing with you, Miss Pendleton.”

“I enjoyed it very much,” I responded with a smile, thinking of how strange it was to hear myself being referred to as Miss Mary Jane Pendleton.

He slowly backed away and his son took his place. We began to dance to the fast beat music.

“Hello, Mary Jane,” Nicholas greeted.

“Hello.”

We laughed with a hint of nervousness in our voices. It had been about ten years since we had communicated more than a single hello about once every two years. We both knew of the need to talk of what was expected…us to marry.

“It has been what ten years since we have actually said more than a hello to each other?” he questioned.

“Close enough to that.”

“There has been quite a few changes since then.”

“Indeed there has.”

“You have blossomed into a real beauty.”

“Well, you do not look so bad yourself.”

“You think so?”

“Yes.”

There was more laughter between the two of us. I was acting like my old self again; the energetic and funny me had returned.

“Mary Jane, we get along well do we not?”

“Yes, we do,” I answered. “Have for years.”

“And quite fond of each other?”

“Indeed. Nicholas, I can see it in your eyes.”

Nicholas blushed slightly, but continued to smile at me. “In fact, I am,” he assured me. Then turned serious, saying, “Can we sit and talk?”

“Of course.”

I knew exactly what was coming. He was going to propose to me. As much as I wanted to refuse to sit and have a serious talk with him, I agreed to do so anyway. I could not be rude to him…not to Nicholas.

Holding my hand gently in his own, he led me across the floor to one of the satin couches that we had to dodge dancing couples to reach. We sat down together, but not too close to each other. That would bring attention to us. Nope, did not want that…or to arouse gossip.

“Mary Jane, we are the perfect match to be wed…and it is expected of us,” he exclaimed, still holding my hand.

“What are you saying?”

Alarm shot up through me so quickly that I skipped a breath. It was coming. Either that, or he was going to inform me that we were already betrothed to each other.

“Our parents think it would be a marvelous idea. I heard them discussing it earlier in the evening,” he continued with that serious tone.

“It would be wise to ask my father about an idea such as this before we do anything,” I replied quickly, praying that this was just another dream.

“I already did so. He approved.”

“What?”

Suddenly, he began to get down on one knee, still clutching my hand. I gasped as Lord Stepney’s son pulled an engagement ring from his coat pocket. I looked up to find my parents watching me with serious expressions on their faces. My father nodded with approval while my mother gave me the ‘forget about that murderer,’ look I knew so well.

“Miss Pendleton, will you do me the honor of being my bride?” Nicholas asked me. He gazed into my eyes with what appeared to be a look of pleading.

But what of Matthew? I was married to him…sort of. All he did was give me a ring. I did not say I do, but I loved him. My mind was racing with thoughts. How could he get to me? I am always watched in the fear of being kidnapped again. There was no proof of the marriage either. I frightening thought came to mind. What if he has been killed or worse, what if the wedding was not legal?

Then, without reason not to do so, I agreed to marry him. It felt like the right thing to do. Though as I agreed, Matthew’s face appeared in my mind. It was not likely that he would succeed in returning to take me away. I had no other choice. It was either marry this man or face my parents.

My now fiancé slipped the emerald ring onto the third finger of my left hand. He then placed a kiss gently on my lips, and stood to his feet. He drew me up as well.

“Well?” I questioned. “Shall we break the news?”

“Indeed we shall.”

We then went across the floor to announce that the engagement was final. Our parents were delighted to hear of the news. It was soon decided that we were to marry in a month’s time. That was the day Matthew Bromley was someone I desired to forget about. I forced him from my main focus.

Chapter Thirteen:

The days were passing quickly and I was beginning to look forward to being Lady Stepney. Things were different this time. I knew Nicholas and was quite fond of him. There was a chance that we could find love in each other. It was not like my engagement to James. My fiancé truly was the perfect match. Unlike James Leroux.

A month before the wedding he surprised my by finding me a new maid for after we married. Her name was Belinda Castallono. Belinda was a charming lady who always had a smile on her face and wished to please everyone. We liked each other immediately.

It was that afternoon in which Nicholas’s parents met with mine to discuss some wedding details. They were to stay for the night, and then we would all go for an afternoon of riding. It sounded like a pleasant weekend.

I had been seated in my couch reading when he came in with a smile on his face. I could see that he had something on his mind that was keeping him in thought. I looked up from my book.

“Hello, Mary Jane,” he greeted, taking a seat beside me. “I had a feeling I would find you in here.”

“It seems you know me quite well,” I commented, setting the book aside. “What is the governor doing?”

“Serving my parents some of his famous wine.”

“Figures. I just hope they do not drink too much as they did the last time.”

“Indeed.”

“I just wanted to thank you for finding me.”

“It was my pleasure.”

“Why were you looking for me?”

“So I could ask you to be my wife.”

It was about two years ago when the Stepney family came for a visit. My father decided to have a sort of drinking party. It was sad when I came in from an afternoon of riding to find them all passed out in the sitting room. I had to make sure to let the servants know to clean up the mess. He had seen it all from upstairs. Strangely enough we did not speak a single word to each other during the entire time. We just did not talk to each other. Our relationship was one of actions and not words.

“Are you satisfied with Belinda?” he asked, bringing me from my thoughts.

“Yes. She is quite charming.”

“I like to hear the sound of an approval.”

“Do you?”

“Yes, I do.”

I turned slightly toward him in hope of keeping the conversation going. But that is not what happened. Instead, my fiancé took advantage of the situation and kissed me.

Completely surprised by his actions, I pulled back quickly and looked at him, astounded. He was looking back at me with serious eyes. “Did I do something wrong?” he replied with a hint of regret in his voice.

“No. It is just that I did not expect….”

I leaned in toward him, and he back to me. His hand went to my face. Our lips were about to meet when the sound of someone in the hall was heard. We immediately jumped back in alarm.

“Do you want to go for a ride?” he then asked, standing to his feet.

“That sounds splendid.”

* * *

Nicholas dismounted from the black horse he had been riding. Then sat down in the shade of a large oak tree, motioning me to join him. He was leaned against the tree lazily with a dreamy look on his face. I laughed as I joined him in; my velvet green dress spread out over the ground.

“It is a good day to go riding,” I commented, looking at him.

“It is a peaceful day.”

He was looking at me with an odd expression on his face. I did not know how to comprehend it.

My fiancé then cupped the back of my neck with his hand and kissed me gently. I moved my mouth with his, continuing the kiss as it slowly became much more. It was a few minutes before I pulled my lips free from him.

“Nicholas, we should not get carried away with this,” I stated as he found the pulse in my throat with his mouth.

“Why not?” He raised his head to look at me. “It is not like we are going to get caught…there is no one to catch us.”

“The servants….”

He pulled me against him. “Mary Jane, can I ask you something?” he then questioned. “About when you were abducted.”

“If you must,” I answered dryly, hazy memories coming to mind.

“Those men…did they force you?”

“One did.”

“So you are not a…?”

I shook my head slowly, watching his facial expression go from happy to slightly exasperated.

“That is not a problem is it?”

“No. I was just wondering about it,” he exclaimed in a voice barely above a whisper. “Are you pregnant?”

“No, I am not.” Then added silently, well at least I do not think I am. I was so unsure, not knowing much about pregnancy.

“I am so glad.”

“Me too, Nicholas.”

It was then that a mischievous smile spread across his face, letting me know ahead of time what was coming. He was about to start it up again.

“Do you want to be?” he asked coyly.

What did I tell you? Figures. After all, men only think about one thing…sex.

“Depends,” I responded, joining in on the game.

“On what?”

“Who is going to be the father?”

“Me.”

“You? Hmm…I do not know.”

He laughed at the face I made that was full of fake disgust. Soon I was laughing too, for he had made a similar face.

“I am now thinking the same thing,” he bantered. “Maybe I should find someone else first.”

“Same for me. I do not think you are my type.”

“Me too.”

I met his lips with my own, giving him my real answer. That was when the rain began to fall around us. Thankfully, the tree was helping to keep us partially dry. That was the day we fell in love in the woods just the outside of the Pendleton property in each other’s arms. A day I will never forget.

Sun Sep 11, 2005 4:15 am
Sam says...

^^ Hehe, so true.

The sentences could be worked on a bit, but the plot's so good it pretty much overrides everything else.

Shady's wall is now the Randomosity forum in a nut shell
— alliyah